This page is also available in other languages:
← Back to the index
February 19, 2020

Filecoin Roadmap Update February 2020

Filecoin Roadmap Update February 2020

In this blog post, we cover recent progress since launching Testnet Phase 1 and updated roadmap information about Testnet Phase 2 and mainnet launch. Please review our Roadmap Update Q4 2019 and Testnet Phase 2 Update (in that order) for additional context.

Where we are now

As a reminder, we launched Testnet Phase 1 on December 11, 2019. As of this writing, the testnet has 3.6PiB+ of proven storage capacity. While we expect the Filecoin mainnet to be several orders of magnitude larger, this is a great start! Let’s keep growing the network!

Recent screenshot of Filecoin testnet stats dashboard at

See more testnet stats at

Since launching Testnet Phase 1 two months ago, we have made significant progress towards Testnet Phase 2. Here are a few highlights:

Testnet Phase 2: Rescheduling

As a reminder, our next major milestones are:

Our team is firing on all cylinders as we gear up for Testnet Phase 2 launch. While we are working to launch Testnet Phase 2 and mainnet as soon as possible, we have the responsibility to ensure that Filecoin will be secure at launch. Our teams need some additional time to complete protocol development, cross-implementation interop, internal protocol security audit, and refine our cryptoeconomic constructions.

Additionally, it has come to our attention that many of our communities in China have continued to be affected by the coronavirus outbreak. Some of our Chinese community members have directly asked us to wait to launch Testnet Phase 2 for two or three weeks, until they can safely return to work. We hear you, and your safety is our priority!

We will be delaying Testnet Phase 2 by approximately 6 weeks to allow enough time for final protocol convergence and feature freeze. To see the latest timing information, please visit our public Filecoin Roadmap Gantt chart. As always, these dates are best estimates, and could potentially shift. We are doing our best to provide accurate timing information, but please understand that this information is not static – it will change. We hope that this 6-week launch delay will afford enough time for the situation to improve in China, and for all of our global communities to participate in the network without compromising their safety.

What’s next

Our current priorities between now and Testnet Phase 2 are:

We’re racing as fast as we can to launch the Filecoin network securely. Moments like these remind us of the bigger picture: security is not just a feature of our protocol; we care deeply about the security of the people who make this ecosystem what it is. We are so grateful for our community’s continued support, and are excited to build this ecosystem with you.


← Back to the index